We’ve previously shared tips about how to approach a strengths-based recruitment process and how to crack it. It’s also important to focus on why you would personally want to take precious time out from your studies to invest in strengths.
The number of recruiters using some form of strength-based recruitment is still on the increase according to the Institute of Student Employers , currently at 43%. Many of those organisations are big names with Accenture, Aviva, Deloitte, GSK and KPMG joining the extensive list.
Firstly, let’s be clear about what we consider a strength – it’s something that you are not only good at, but it’s what you love to do, what you want to be known for and what energises you.
The benefits of focusing on your strengths as a student are endless…
- Know yourself better, and reflect on what is important to you and how to drive future success
- Start to recognise how you currently use your strengths in your life and build your success narrative going forward
- Use your strengths to further develop your overall confidence and challenge any doubt you may face
- Be able to look for the roles that complement your strengths
- Align your values and strengths with organisations that will bring satisfying work and cultural alignment
- Get prepared for the assessment process in a way that plays to your strengths
- Choose internships that focus on areas you want to develop further for future CV enhancing
- Be able to use strengths language to describe yourself, your motivations and your best SELF
- Reflect on what you don’t want from a future career and take steps towards not falling into the wrong job
- To have a unique descriptive and authentic strengths statement within your CV
To reflect on what your strengths are, consider…
- What makes a really good day for you?
- What do people come to you for?
- What achievements are you most proud of? Why?
At the University of Warwick, we use Strengths Profile to assess our students’ strengths. You can watch our video to find out more. We also run Strengths workshops – you can sign up for these through MyAdvantage.