Sending a phone interview thank you email serves four very important purposes:
- it restates your enthusiasm for the job opportunity
- it confirms your suitability for the position
- it reinforces that you are a professional and committed job candidate
- it acknowledges the interviewer’s time and effort
Refer back to the notes you made during your phone interview to make sure your interview thank you email relates directly to the discussion you had with the employer.
Sample Phone Interview Thank You Email
From: Your name
To: Interviewer’s name
Subject: Thank you for an interesting discussion this morning
Dear Mr/Mrs ……….
I sincerely appreciate the time you took today to discuss your Customer Service Agent position. It was a pleasure speaking with you and learning more about the job and your company.
I would like to confirm the following skills that I know will be of value in this key position:
- efficient problem-solving skills evident in a customer query resolution rate of X%
- strong computer skills with the proven ability to quickly master new software
- a solid knowledge of the tools and procedures necessary for servicing a large and diverse customer base
You highlighted the need for good listening and communication skills in this position. My excellent customer service feedback scores are a valid demonstration of my ability to listen and communicate effectively.
I would appreciate a personal interview to further discuss your job requirements and how I am able to meet them. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you again for your time and consideration
Good Phone Interview Thank You Email Phrases
You can adapt any of these key phrases for use in your follow up email after your phone interview.
I appreciate having the opportunity to speak with you about the call center job. The position really seems to be an excellent match for my skills and experience.
I want to thank you for your time this morning. I enjoyed our conversation about the X position and learning more about the job and your company.
Thank you for taking the time to discuss the X job with me. It is both an interesting and challenging opportunity and I am enthusiastic about my ability to perform successfully in the position.
Job Specific Phrases
I noted your emphasis on the need for strong computer skills in this position. I would like to highlight my in-depth working knowledge of MS Office and in particular Excel.
We discussed how your company is currently expanding into new markets. I would like to note my track record of establishing sales in new geographic areas through the establishment of strong customer relationships.
You highlighted the need for good organizational skills in this job. My proven ability to efficiently plan and execute multiple projects to meet strict deadlines would be of significant value in this position.
I’d like to meet with you to tell you more about my experience and to further discuss how I can add value to your company. I look forward to hearing from you.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions for me or if I can provide any information that will help you with your hiring decision.
This job sounds like an exciting opportunity and I am confident that my knowledge and expertise would allow me to excel in this position. I look forward to further discussing my candidacy with you soon.
Always thank the interviewer again before you sign off.
How to write an excellent interview follow up letter
Best advice about job interview follow up
How soon should you send a thank you email after a phone interview?
- The best advice is to send your phone interview thank you email immediately after your interview.
- If this is not possible then send it within 24 hours of your phone interview.
- Make sure you get the correct name and email address of the person who you spoke to during the phone interview.
- If you are unsure of the spelling you can check by calling the company and speaking to the receptionist or check on the company website.
What should you do after your phone interview?
Your phone interview follow up is a key aspect of getting to the next stage in the hiring process.
These 5 steps will help you get it right.
1. Find out what happens next – at the end of your phone interview ask what the next stage is. Find out more about closing your phone interview properly.
2. Make sure you have all the necessary contact information for your thank you email and follow up. Get the full name of the interviewer and his or her contact details.
3. Consider what happened during your phone interview before writing your phone interview thank you email. Refer to notes taken during the phone interview and decide what experience and skills to reinforce and if there are any issues that need to be addressed in your email.
4. Write and send your thank you email within 24 hours of the phone interview.
5. Contact your job references to alert them to the fact that they may be contacted by the employer before your job application is taken any further. Provide some details about the position so that they are prepared.
Find out more about conducting successful follow up after your phone interview.
How to Succeed in Phone Interviews
Be the best prepared candidate for your phone interview and make a great impression.
How to ace your Skype interview.
Online interview questions and tips
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.