The top 10 interview questions asked in job interviews. Prepare thoroughly using the interview answer guidelines and impress as the best candidate for the job.
The most frequently asked interview questions include:
What can you tell me about yourself?
Why should we hire you?
What are your strengths and weaknesses?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
Why do you want to work for this company?
Prepare for these typical interview questions. Find excellent interview answers at 5 Common Interview Questions
These are the top 10 interview questions that interviewers use in addition to the 5 common job interview questions.
Top 10 Interview Questions and Answers
Research shows that many job candidate will be expected to answer a high percentage of these ten questions during the job interview.
1. What do you like most and least about your current job?
The interviewer is assessing your match with the job opportunity.
- when referring to what you like about your current job highlight an aspect that relates directly to the job you are interviewing for
- when discussing what you dislike about your current job avoid referring to any duties or tasks that are part of the job you are interviewing for
- avoid personal attacks on your colleagues, managers and the organization
Find a sample interview answer for this common job interview question at What do you like about your current job?
2. What motivates you in your job?
Consider carefully what does motivate you. It is a personal characteristic and will depend on your experience and competencies.
- understand the job you are interviewing for and emphasize the motivational fit between you and the job
- how do the job itself and the organizational environment provide the motivation and satisfaction you want?
Find out how to answer top 10 interview questions about motivation at What motivates you in your job?
3. How do you deal with conflict?
Every job, team and organization contains an element of conflict. The interviewer is exploring your approach to conflict with top ten interview questions like this.
- What resources do you use to manage conflict at work?
- How do you prevent conflict from escalating or happening again?
Sample interview answer for How do you handle conflict?
4. How do you define success in your job?
Success means different things to different people. This question explores your interpretation of success and if it is compatible with what the organization views as success.
- What do you consider to be a challenge?
- What are your career goals?
Sample interview answer for How do you define job success?
5. How would your manager and co-workers describe you?
This interview question is all about your self awareness.
- Do you know how you come cross and how you are perceived in the workplace?
- Do you understand your strengths and weaknesses? Do you ask for and receive feedback?
Make sure your answer focuses on work related characteristics. The interviewer is not really interested in what a great dancer you are!
Find out more about answering this interview question at How would your colleagues describe you?
6. What do you consider to be the key skills for this job?
A number of these top 10 job interview questions demand that you have a good understanding of the job opportunity.
Display your knowledge of the position by listing the skills required and highlighting those that are key to the expected job performance and outcomes.
If you have insufficient information about the job use these Sample Job Descriptions to help clarify the core job requirements.
This Job Skills List is another useful resource.
Sample interview answer at What skills are critical to this position?
7. What salary are you looking for?
This is a tricky question. It is easier to answer if you know what salary the job offers and you have a salary history to refer to. There are a number of ways to handle this difficult question.
It is essential to have done some research on typical salary ranges for this type of job. This will provide you with the data you need to support your interview answer. Determine your Market Value
Find out more about answering this interview question at What salary are you seeking?
8. What is your reason for leaving your current job?
- avoid negative and critical answers
- focus on the positive aspects of what you are moving towards
- never badmouth former employers, this is viewed by interviewers as destructive and unhelpful behavior
How to answer top 10 interview questions about reasons for leaving at Why do you want to leave your job?
9. Describe your ideal job.
Your interview answer should correlate with what motivates you and the key skills required for the job you are interviewing for.
Try not to be too specific. Rather focus on general positive attributes that any number of jobs can offer an individual such as:
- the opportunity to learn and grow
- the opportunity to make the best use of your skills
- the opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to the organization
Sample interview answer at What is your ideal job?
10. What has been your greatest achievement to date?
Top 10 interview questions are likely to include those that explore what you have accomplished to date. Focus on an achievement that is relevant to the job you are interviewing for.
It should be something that you had to work hard for and that was a real challenge to accomplish.
- What goals do you set yourself?
- What do you consider important?
- How do you overcome obstacles?
Sample interview answers at What has been your biggest achievement?
Prepare winning interview answers to these top 10 interview questions and stand out as the right job candidate.
How to handle difficult interview questions
Job Interview Answers to difficult interview questions.
How to handle it when you don’t know the answer in your interview.
Other types of interview questions
Communication skills are a prerequisite for most jobs. Be ready to answer interview questions about your ability to communicate effectively.
Most interviews will include behavior-based interview questions. Find out more at Behavioral Interview Questions and Answers
Online and Skype interviews are becoming more popular. Find out how to make the right impression from a distance at Online Interview Questions and Tips
What questions should I ask the interviewer?
Have some good questions ready to ask the employer. Know the right Job Interview Question to ask in your interview.
These are the Top 10 Interview Questions to Ask to ask in your job interview.
The top 10 interview tips
Use the search box to find exactly what you are looking for.